________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Debbie
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:49 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Opinions Needed

This is a letter to the editor of our local paper concerning the kittens
we found dumped over the weekend. My husband is afraid it will cause
trouble if they print it with a name and town. What do you think?
Myself, I doubt anyone will really pay attention. I am curious to know
what you guys think.
Thanks for the input.
Debbie

Dear Editor,
On Sunday, May 27, Children's Home Bradford Rd., Greenville, someone
pulled
into a path in a field, north, a little ways off of 127. My husband and
were traveling to Lowe's and noticed this parked car and also kittens
beside
it. We thought "oh, they must be picking them up." We agreed we would
come
back the same route on the way home to make sure. Unfortunately, on the
way
back, we saw the kittens were still there. We pulled over and got out.
One
was lying squashed on the path, 2 snuggled up to the small lifeless
body.
Whoever dumped them must have run over one. Three more came waddling up
out
of the ditch. There were 6 total. We gathered the 5 left alive and
placed
them in our van. My husband was kind enough that he even picked up the
dead
baby kitten and placed it in a bag, later he buried it in our side yard.
We
had our 2 Labradors with us - one which my husband had found dumped
outside
Bradford around Christmas time. She was only 4-5 weeks old. The kittens
looked to be around 4-5 weeks old. We knew we could not just leave them
because they would never have survived on their own. We also knew that
we
would not really be able to take on anymore because we have 14 rescued
ones
already (7 were found in a trash dumpster outside a condo in Dayton).
All
now spayed, neutered, shots, etc.
I called and left a message at the Darke County Humane Society telling
them
the whole story. We decided if worse came to worse we would keep them
until
they could be adopted out. Amazingly the Humane Society phoned the next
day.
They agreed to take the abandoned babies in. My husband and I would like
publicly thank them for that. We are so very grateful. The lady that
picked
them up had a nice clean carrier and bedding for them.
As to the people who constantly abandon, abuse, etc.. animals. What is
wrong
with you? What gives you the right to take away life of any kind? It
always
amazes me that humans can be so cruel. Poor defenseless creatures left
die, no food, no shelter, no one to love them. Would you do this to your
mother, your grandfather, your child? We seem to be becoming a "throw
away
society." If someone or something doesn't fit our idea of perfection or
if
taking care of them is "an inconvenience" - then we just dispose of it.
Life
to many, seems cheap. I recall I had a neighbor years ago that left his
dog
have pups year after year. His 2 little girls would love on them and
play
with them. Later the pups would disappear. I was told the father would
take
them out and shoot them. Of course you couldn't prove it, just like you
couldn't prove that he also had his little girls drown kittens in their
swimming pool. Wonderful lessons to teach our children, isn't it? Just
like
dumping 6 defenseless kittens in an area where there were no houses, no
people, or food.
How someone treats animals, in my opinion, is a reflection of how they
treat
others. It's sad to say that many people do not show a respect for life.
can only hope that the residents of Darke County will educate themselves
and
their children as to what "being a responsible pet owner" means. If each
of
us puts forth at least a little effort (and monetary support) we can
help
control the over population of cats and dogs and the unnecessary
suffering
they often times endure. For all those dollars we spend on lottery
tickets,
a pack of cigarettes, a six pack of beer, that new MP3 player,
etc.surely we
can spend some on a LIFE. Please consider donating to the local Humane
Society or other animal welfare agencies.

be privileged.
received this
transmission from
are required to