I read in multiple literature that 2/3 of cats who were expsed to the virus
will thrwo off the Felk virus as well.  One I saw is in the peteducation web
page in felk section about it does not tell where the back up study came from..
Also, one of the medical book I have for cats also say the same thing --

Here's what I copied from the website..from the peteducation.com

What happens to a cat after being exposed to FeLV?

If the cat becomes infected from the exposure, 2-4 weeks later, in the
acute<javascript:popupWin1('/dictionary_term.cfm?term=acute&cls=1', 50, 50,
350, 300)> stage of infection, large numbers of the virus can be found in the
bloodstream (viremia). Cats in the acute phase usually do not show signs of
disease. If they do, the signs are usually mild fever, slight lethargy, and
swollen lymph
nodes<http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1352&articleid=318>
(lymphadenopathy). When an adult cat is exposed to FeLV, four things can happen:

  1.. Approximately 30% of adult cats will not be infected due to inadequate
exposure.

  2.. 30-35% of adult cats have a transient infection; over the course of 6
months or so, the cats will eventually kill all of the virus.

  3.. 5-10% of adult cats will develop
latent<javascript:popupWin1('/dictionary_term.cfm?term=latent&cls=1', 50, 50,
350, 300)> infections; these cats will not be able to kill all the virus, but
will be able to hold it in check. This is called a latent infection. These cats
usually show no signs of infection and usually do not shed virus in their
saliva or other body secretions.
Queens<javascript:popupWin1('/dictionary_term.cfm?term=queen&cls=1', 50, 50,
350, 300)>, however, may still pass the virus in utero or through the milk.

  4.. 30% of adult cats will become persistently infected; these cats will not
develop an adequate immune response and will remain permanently infected with
FeLV. These are the cats who will become ill and die of FeLV-related diseases,
usually within 2-3 years of infection. These cats will shed large amounts of
virus in their saliva.

Age is a very important factor in determining what will happen after a cat is
exposed to FeLV. Almost all FeLV-exposed kittens less than 8 weeks of age will
have persistent viremia and show signs of disease during the acute phase. As
kittens get older, there is the probability of becoming persistently infected
after exposure lessens, until it reaches approximately 30% in adulthood.

The prevalence of FeLV infection is highest in cats between 1 and 6 years of
age, with a mean age of 3 years. Males are 1-½ times more likely to be infected
than females. This may be due to the frequency in which intact males roam and
fight.