I have not been keeping up with this thread... but I saw "heartworms" and
decided to read more.  *Everyone: Please don't be naive about heartworms!*
Take it from someone who has been heartbroken over losing a kitty that was
misdiagnosed with Asthma (when it was heartworms - diagnosed by necropsy).
She died instantly from a pulmonary embolism caused by heartworms.  I've
lost her to heartworms... and have two other rescues who have tested
positive.  Most vets haven't seen it because they assume "heart attack" when
it is really heartworms.

We are in Florida and the vets here are seeing it more and more of it each
year.  They are also seeing it with *indoor only* cats.  There is a blood
test for antibodies and another test that can be done to test for antigens.
I have used Revolution without problem ever since...  Our vet won't even
carry the new Advantage until there is more information on it... and more
practical data on the use of it.

Heartworm is out there (especially in warmer climates) and it is *deadly*...
I'll never get over losing Salem... or the guilt of not double checking her
diagnosis.  Now I watch my two other boys who have been diagnosed with it
like a hawk, and know I could lose either of them without a moment's
notice.  There is no cure for it like there is for dogs....

Sorry if I've jumped in here mid discussion...

Leslie =^..^=

--
Leslie     =^..^=

To leave the world a better place - whether by a healthy child, a garden
patch, or an improved social condition - that is to have succeeded.  That
only one life breathed easier because you lived - that is success.
---Ralph Waldo Emerson