-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Megan Heikkinen
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 9:26 AM
To: felvtalk
Subject: Update on Olive: Dilemma...

Dilemma, dilemma...

Last night, I was pretty much resigned to letting Olive pass. Not happily
resigned, now, for I cried for hours and then couldn't sleep. I had actually

typed up a huge email about my reasoning a few minutes ago, but I just got
off
the phone with my vet, and now I'm once again lost as to what to do.

First off, I want to mention that my vet does actually seem to want to help,

he just doesn't think much will come of it and doesn't want to give me false

hope. Apparently, he wrote down my number wrong last night, which is why I
never got a return call.

I asked about the reticulocyte count. She had some last week, but it was so
low that they considered it nonregenerative anemia. Apparently, she had also

received two shots of steroids along with the transfusion. This worries me,
because the transfusion started wearing off only after 5 days, when it
usually
lasts around 10 days. The shots seemed to help within the first couple of
days, but then wore off. I also asked if haemobartonella was still a
possibility, and he thought it might be. He is going to find out the price
of
getting a combo of doxy with something else that can be given in a form
other
than pills. He said he'd be willing to try epogen, but warned me that it
usually only works a couple times because an immunity develops.

I called the vet school about the price, but had to leave a message. I asked

my vet about it, and he reassured me that their given price was indeed
$2000-3000. He isn't sure what it entails, though I'm assuming it's
everything
under the sun, and that kind of scares me. I don't want to subject Olive to
million tests...

So, I'm facing this huge problem now. While I would of course love to save
Olive, I don't know if it's really going to do any good. And yeah, trying to

do something may be better than doing nothing at all. But I'm not sure. I
don't want to put her through this stage of slowly dying again, for the
third
time. I don't know if she'll even be helped unless she can get another blood

transfusion, and if I do that at my vet, I'll have to use Juniper as a
donor.
That scares me. I don't really have time to look elsewhere, though.

I wish someone could just give me the answer, but I know that ultimately it
is
up to me. I wish I was stronger, and not the most indecisive fool on the
planet. One of my biggest concerns is that if I do manage to keep Olive
alive,
my other two babies will continue to be susceptible to this godforsaken
virus.

>===== Original Message From Belinda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>I do not all animals or people suffer when they are dying and I can tell
>you for a fact unless any of my furkids are in a great deal of pain and
>I clearly get from them they want help passing I will let all of them
>pass on their own, I personally believe most prefer it.  It may not be
>pretty for me but I don't think they suffer as we think they do, once
>the process gets to a certain point the body goes into shock and I don't
>think you feel much of anything.  Of course I have never died, that is
>just my sense of the process and I could be as right as anyone who
>insists helping an animal pass is the best and kindest thing you can do
>for them, I don't think that is always the case.  I personally would
>never want to be euthanized if that was an option humans had.
>
>> You will regret seeing it and much worse, allowing it to get that far for

her sake.  You will see her suffer.