Hi Megan,

Everyday I get on the computer. I first look to see how Olive is doing. I so
want her to have some good quality time with you. There are others on this
group that may be more experienced with this disease than I, but I wound up
on a very fast learning curve with one cat initially dying from unknown
anemia and probably hemapatic lipodosis

On 8/31/07, Megan Heikkinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dilemma, dilemma...
>
> Last night, I was pretty much resigned to letting Olive pass. Not happily
> resigned, now, for I cried for hours and then couldn't sleep. I had
> actually
> typed up a huge email about my reasoning a few minutes ago, but I just got
> off
> the phone with my vet, and now I'm once again lost as to what to do.
>
> First off, I want to mention that my vet does actually seem to want to
> help,
> he just doesn't think much will come of it and doesn't want to give me
> false
> hope. Apparently, he wrote down my number wrong last night, which is why I
> never got a return call.
>
> I asked about the reticulocyte count. She had some last week, but it was
> so
> low that they considered it nonregenerative anemia. Apparently, she had
> also
> received two shots of steroids along with the transfusion. This worries
> me,
> because the transfusion started wearing off only after 5 days, when it
> usually
> lasts around 10 days. The shots seemed to help within the first couple of
> days, but then wore off. I also asked if haemobartonella was still a
> possibility, and he thought it might be. He is going to find out the price
> of
> getting a combo of doxy with something else that can be given in a form
> other
> than pills. He said he'd be willing to try epogen, but warned me that it
> usually only works a couple times because an immunity develops.
>
> I called the vet school about the price, but had to leave a message. I
> asked
> my vet about it, and he reassured me that their given price was indeed
> $2000-3000. He isn't sure what it entails, though I'm assuming it's
> everything
> under the sun, and that kind of scares me. I don't want to subject Olive
> to a
> million tests...
>
> So, I'm facing this huge problem now. While I would of course love to save
> Olive, I don't know if it's really going to do any good. And yeah, trying
> do something may be better than doing nothing at all. But I'm not sure. I
> don't want to put her through this stage of slowly dying again, for the
> third
> time. I don't know if she'll even be helped unless she can get another
> blood
> transfusion, and if I do that at my vet, I'll have to use Juniper as a
> donor.
> That scares me. I don't really have time to look elsewhere, though.
>
> I wish someone could just give me the answer, but I know that ultimately
> it is
> up to me. I wish I was stronger, and not the most indecisive fool on the
> [...]

Black, Lily, Daisy, Silver, and  Spike  Visit my BB for some pictures post
your as well.