-Caroline

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:27:21 -0700From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]: Re: blood transfusion
    Caroline,   I remember Monkee and all the heartache you guys went through.I
would be doing all positives a disservice though if I didn't make a point about
what my vet told me and I have personally seen happen with some cats on the
lists I'm on.Sometimes for what ever reason it takes 2 or 3 or more
transfusions to kick start a cats blood production, my vet told me she has done
up to 5 transfusions on the same cat with no ill effects.  Of course you still
need to find out what is causing the anemia so you can hopefully fix it.
Baileys anemia was his first symptom of the cancer we couldn't find until after
he passed BUT we did reverse the non-regenerative anemia with epogen and
prednisolone, his HCT was normal (33% from a low point of 15%) when the cancer
took him.  I didn't need to do a transfusion with Bailey because I did a bone
marrow aspirate to find out what was causing the anemia and treated
accordingly.Every cat I've lost has taught me something in hindsight that I and
my vet missed at the time, I wish my guys weren't the ones that had to pay with
their lives but I know one thing, if I ever hear of a cat having the same
symptoms or God forbid I have a cat with like symptoms, I will know what to
tell them to look for, doesn't mean they will but I will make the effort to let
them know.--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties
http://bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candlelight Service
http://bemikitties.com/cls

http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs [non-profit animals websites]
http://bmk.bemikitties.com