National Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) groups -- including Alley Cat Allies
www.alleycat.org -- and veterinary scientist Dr Julie Levy's group Operation
Catnip in Gainesville FL do not recommend testing feral cats --
spaying/neutering and returning to colony site is the best prevention of any
illness. It does not make sense to euthanize cats on the premise that they
"may" get ill. A perfectly healthy feral cat may get hit by a car -- so does
that mean we should just euthanize all feral cats just in case?
Check out:

http://sacs.vetmed.ufl.edu/catnip/manual,%20internal%20&%20external%20hyps.htm#c1_9
http://www.feralcat.com/tpolicy.html
http://www.castawaycritters.org/info/display?PageID=157
I do not believe you have to tell a vet anything about the status of the 2 cats
from the colony -- you are paying them to do a service, spay and neuter the
remaining cats of the colony.

Of course, if the cats are obviously ill -- that is a different story.

Best wishes,
Anita
"Every year shelters kill almost 5,000,000 cats, dogs, puppies & kittens.  Most
were beautiful, loving creatures (even feral cats!) that died simply because
they did not have a home.  Every puppy or kitten born costs a shelter animal
its life. Save lives, spay-neuter, support Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) & adopt for
life!" Visit http://www.castawaycritters.org/info/display?PageID=153 for
information on Spay/Neuter in Mid-Central PAVisit http://www.alleycat.org for
information on humane control of the feral and stray cat populationVisit
http://www.cpaa.info for information on life-saving programs and organizations
in Mid-Central PA

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 06:23:39 -0700From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Introducing Sissy
and RocketTo: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
I had been feeding a group of dumpster 8 kittens and ended up rescuing 2, Sissy
and Rocket, when they were about 12 weeks old.  On their 1st vet visit both
tested FeLV+.  I will have both retested the end of April to see if they are
still positive.  I have them quarantined in my garage.   They are eating Iams
canned kitten food supplemented with a Super B Complex, Lactoferrin and DMG.
So far they are responding well and seem very healthy.  Both have had their
kitten shots and been wormed.

If they stay positive I will either find a forever home for them or build an
enclosure onto the garage for them.  I have 2 indoor kitties and one has CRF so
am concerned about bringing them into the house.

My questions concern the rest of the colony which includes at least 4 adults.
I can not take all of them in.  My plan had been to TNR the colony
(trap/neuter/release). The vet is recommending euthanizing the entire colony if
these 2 stay positive.  I am not sure where I will be able to get then neutered
if they are positive.  And I can not trap them just to have them euthanized.
That may be the best thing to do but I just can't do it.  Is there any info on
how to deal with a FeLV+ feral colony?  Any advise on how to get them neutered?
 Am I obligated to tell the vet about the potential for FeLV when having them
neutered?

Sharyl Sissy and Rocket
ES of VA

Access, No Cost.
Pack up or back up–use SkyDrive to transfer files or keep extra copies. Learn
how.
hthttp://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008