Graca,

Hello.  I responded to your email earlier but had some problems with my email
and am not sure if you received it.  This is basically what I said.  If you get
two emails for this sorry.

AZT is an antiviral used in human medicine to treat HIV.  It is generally used
in combination with other antivirals.  Unfortunately, these combinations of
antivirals have not been found to be effective against felv in cats.  At least
there are no good studies to support that.

AZT is often not used or stopped in people because it often causes anemia and
bone marrow toxicity.  This is a very widely known side effect of AZT.  For
this reason, I would listen to the vet that suggests stopping the AZT.

Since anemia can be a common symptom of felv and your cat is experiencing it.
It is either because of progression of the felv disease or a side effect of the
drugs.  If it is the drug, stop giving it and the anemia should improve (this
can be monitored by looking at the blood for reticulocytes - which are like
baby red blood cells and indicate that the bone marrow is trying to fix the
anemia - this is a good sign).  If it is the felv disease progressing than the
AZT is not really helping you anyway and there isn't much reason to continue
giving it.

If you want to continue to treat the felv virus, there is a lot of buzz about
something called Imulan.  It is the first FDA approved drug for the treatment
of felv/fiv in the United States.  You may want to ask your vet about this
possibility.  It may be beneficial to stop your current meds and try this.  I
don't know.  It would be trial and error.  Keep in mind that anemia and bone
marrow suppression in a felv positive cat is a poor prognostic sign.

In general, if it were me, I would stop the AZT and watch for improvement of
the anemia.  I may add Imulan (I have no experience with this drug yet), would
consider a blood transfusion, from an immunized cat, if the anemia is
significant enough and transfer factor if there is GI upset.

Hope this helps.

Jenny
---- Graca Azevedo <mg4...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

Dear All,

I was so upset with my sick cat that I did not introduce myself as new to list
a few days ago.  I do apologize.  I am writing from Brazil, have two rescued
cats.  One of them is Felv+.  He has been treated on AZT and interferon for 2
years and half. The virus reached his bone marrow and he has anemia.  Two vets
have examined him.  One said that I should stop with the AZT and the other
advised to continue.  I failed to find on the mail archives any report on cats
being treated with AZT.
I would be most grateful to hear what any of you have to say.

Regards,

Graça Azevedo

http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com