Gary,

You ask a loaded question.  Technically oral 'acemannan' is not yet
available.  What I was referring to was the oral form of sugars that
are an extract from the aloe vera plant.  The best product would be an
organic all natural aloe vera juice preparation.  There are a few good
ones out there.

With respect to specific papers supporting it's efficacy.  Well, this
is convoluted.  Largely because felv is so unpredictable and it's hard
to say whether any of these treatments are really doing anything
anyway.  Having said that, there are many papers written about the
value of aloe vera poly- and mono-saccharides in viral infections and
immune support.  In reference to felv specifically most studies have
been done around the IP injection.  There is a paper comparing the use
of IP injection and oral preparation in fiv cats - comparable results
in each group.  I don't have access to pub meb from this computer, but
can get it from work and send you the abstract.  To me the big issue
is whether or not things are absorbed through the oral preparation -
the fiv paper supports that it does and most of what I know about
intestinal absorption supports easy passive and active diffusion of
the sugars.  Additionally any IP injection would also require
absorption into the vascular system.

To the best of my knowledge no specific research has yet been done or
at least published to answer your exact question.  Although it always
nice to have evidence to support actions, sometimes the data just
isn't there.  I still believe in the value of acemannan and believe it
can be used orally if only as a support measure in assisting the
immune system.

I have recently, however, spoken with a number of holistic vets who
have better success with a oral supplement known as Moducare - it is a
plant sterol derivative known to modulate the immune system.  Some of
them have also expressed support of the Standard Process feline immune
support supplement.   Who knows.

I wish there was a straight forward easy answer to this disease.  I
really do, but I haven't found it yet.  I will keep searching and I
hope that if you find anything of value that you share it with me.
Thanks and I will send you the paper when I can.

Jenny