Beth,

Sorry it took me so long to reply.  Toxic is a strange word.  It is sort of
like 'allergy' in the world of pharmacology.  When taking an antibiotic
people/animals often experience GI problems and some will call it an
allergy.  It is not it is more like a side effect than an allergy.  Toxic is
the same kind of thing.  When something causes damage to say the kidney,
liver, CNS (central nervous system), retina, lungs or heart I would
certainly call it toxic.  When it causes loose stool or diarrhea I would be
less inclined to call it toxic.

With respect to Aloe vera, the skin of the plant contains a factor than can
be a strong laxative.  In juice form this is a less potent problem as the
skin is not present.  There are groups that have tried to extract the active
immunoregulatory components of aloe and removed the laxative effects.
Mannatech is one such organization.  They sell a product called ambotrose.
If one prefers to avoid the possible GI effects they could try this.

So, to the best of my knowledge, the plant itself can cause severe diarrhea,
the juice less so and the processed Ambotrose virtually no problems with GI
issues.

Hope this helps, and Gary I forgot, but I will get the abstracts to you.

Jenny