6-8 weeks is a bizarre statement-- i do not know of any steroids that take that long.  Prednisone pills take a few days, Depomedrol shots can take a few days, and Dexamethasone shots usually kick in within 24 hours (hence the strategy of combining dex and depo shots-- so the dex works while the depo is kicking in, and because it is short-lived it is out of the system by the time the depo really kicks in).

In terms of getting him into the carrier... I have had good luck using Feliway spray and Recue Remedy. You probably know Feliway already.  I spray the inside of a carrier and heavily spray the towel or bed I put in the carrier.  It seems to calm them a lot.  Rescue Remedy is a Bach Flower Essence calming remedy, available at health food stores and online.  You can rub a few drops on the inside of his ears if he will let you (I realize that is tricky with ferals).  Putting something sprayed with Feliway next to him about 20 minutes before putting him in the carrier can also help to calm him.

These things seem to work for me, but I have not used them with feral cats.

Michelle