I'm sorry Nina I guess I didn't realize how far into this disease she was, I
had a Felv + who ended up getting a UTI at the same time her PCV was 8 and she
would not eat anything, and definatley not the urinary diet to dissolve the
crytals, I too have reached the up throwing of hands at numerous points.  She
would only eat Purina adult lamb & rice flavor and NOTHING else. There are
times when I believe our hearts should override the medical necessities and do
what's right for their little souls and not their physical bodies.  I believe
when it comes down to it,that's what we on this list are all here to do.  It
takes a strong person to read the fine lines, I think you're doing what is
right for Gypsy.  My only negative is my 10yr old Nala, and its sad to say that
when she does start to feel the grips of old age she will be similar to your
Gypsy, she is one of the nastiest cats we see at my vet so for her, too, less
maybe a whole lot more. PS. at home she is a total purr mons!
 ter :)unless there is another cat within 3 feet:)
Best Wishes, Kristi

> From: Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2005/01/24 Mon PM 10:26:55 EST
> To: felvtalk@vlists.net
> Subject: Re: Gypsy IBD
>
> Hi Kristi,
> I did try alternative diets.  The problem was finding something she
> would eat.  She lost all her weight while I was trying to find novel
> proteins for her.  I have not had her Ultrasounded.  I know that these
> symptoms could indicate cancer as well as allergic reactions, and out of
> control immune response, but I was trying to help her with things I
> could do at home.  Until recently, she wouldn't even let my husband or
> me touch her.  My thinking was, if she has cancer, I'm not willing to
> destroy her peace of mind putting her through all the diagnostics and
> treatments.  I thought I could help her heal at home.  Hindsight is
> 20/20 and if I had it to do over again, I would have taken her in when
> she was still fairly healthy.  At this point, I just don't know what I'm
> willing to put her through.
>
> Thank you for checking with your office about her.  The novel foods I
> finally found that she would eat were, Solid Gold Lamb dry and
> California Natural Venison.  When she quit eating those, I threw up my
> hands and started letting her have whatever she wanted.  I just couldn't
> rationalize watching her waste away, while trying to see if she
> responded to a new diet.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Nina
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >Nina,
> > In regards to IBD my veterinarian pushes diet, diet, diet- high fiber I
> > believe andnot giving any treats or meat for months on end.  I'll run this
> > by her tomorrow for a more exact idea of what food she suggests.  As for
> > the meds you've tried so far she uses those as well in conjecture with the
> > food.  Have you had her Ultrasounded? We are going through the same thing
> > with a young cat right now, she is just finishing up her trial on an
> > hypoallergenic diet after Hills WD etc (in other words the high fiber
> > diets) didn't help, nor did the meds.  Now the presumption is that during
> > some point of hightened immune response she developed a food allergy, after
> > the hypoallergenic diet, if it doesn't work, she will be put on Purina
> > green pea & duck for yet another 6 week trial. We actually have a small
> > handful of cats that eat strictly that because of food allergies.  I
> > believe they had varying symptoms, some IBD some skin issues etc. I'll let
> > you know more after work tomorrow, I hop!
 e !