Sorry, Nina, I had not read your comments about cancer before sending my last email.  I understand your dilemma now.  One thing you should know, though, is that steroids can be an effective way to treat lymphoma for several months and sometimes longer (or shorter, depending where they are with the disease) and can be given by sub-q injection at home.  And without a diagnosis if you have a sympathetic vet.  And it seems from the other posts from the other group that steroids can help with IBD also, if that is the problem and not lymphoma.

The protocol that a vet friend uses for cats with lymphoma or other terminal illness who are not getting chemo is the following:  a shot of 1/2cc dexamethasone mixed with 1/2 cc depomedrol. Dex is strong and fast-acting and fast to leave their systems, while depo is  long-lasting but slower to kick in. hence the combo.  It is given again when the cat crashes again, i.e. stops eating or otherwise seems a lot worse.  It can last up to a month, or as little as a few days depending on where they are with their disease.  I was able to get a vet to give me one of more of these shots to give at home when needed, but the vet was a friend of a friend.  If you have a relationship with a shelter that has a vet, you might be able to get it that way.  If the steroids are going to help you should know within a few days, often as soon as a few hours if it contains the dex.  They increase appetite, energy, and good mood, and reduce inflammation.  I would say that if nothing else has helped and you can not get her diagnostic procedures or chemo if there is cancer, that you should try this regimen at least once and see what happens.  The side effects which are possible from these shots are: 1) after several months diabetes is possible if giving depomedrol more than once a week or two weeks; 2) it can suppress their immune systems and make them more vulnerable to colds, and 3) after a long time it can make their skin thin (this happened to Buddy, one of my cats who got them for lymphoma and died two years ago).  But if you are facing possible death in the near future, I really think it is worth trying this to see if she improves and can return to a good quality life and eating again, at least for a while.

Michelle

My thinking was, if she has cancer, I'm not willing to