From: Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2005/01/24 Mon PM 10:26:55 EST
To: felvtalk@vlists.net
Subject: Re: Gypsy IBD

Hi Kristi,
I did try alternative diets.  The problem was finding something she
would eat.  She lost all her weight while I was trying to find novel
proteins for her.  I have not had her Ultrasounded.  I know that these
symptoms could indicate cancer as well as allergic reactions, and out of
control immune response, but I was trying to help her with things I
could do at home.  Until recently, she wouldn't even let my husband or
me touch her.  My thinking was, if she has cancer, I'm not willing to
destroy her peace of mind putting her through all the diagnostics and
treatments.  I thought I could help her heal at home.  Hindsight is
20/20 and if I had it to do over again, I would have taken her in when
she was still fairly healthy.  At this point, I just don't know what I'm
willing to put her through.

Thank you for checking with your office about her.  The novel foods I
finally found that she would eat were, Solid Gold Lamb dry and
California Natural Venison.  When she quit eating those, I threw up my
hands and started letting her have whatever she wanted.  I just couldn't
rationalize watching her waste away, while trying to see if she
responded to a new diet.

Thanks for the help,
Nina

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Nina,
In regards to IBD my veterinarian pushes diet, diet, diet- high fiber I believe andnot giving any treats or meat for months on end.  I'll run this by her tomorrow for a more exact idea of what food she suggests.  As for the meds you've tried so far she uses those as well in conjecture with the food.  Have you had her Ultrasounded? We are going through the same thing with a young cat right now, she is just finishing up her trial on an hypoallergenic diet after Hills WD etc (in other words the high fiber diets) didn't help, nor did the meds.  Now the presumption is that during some point of hightened immune response she developed a food allergy, after the hypoallergenic diet, if it doesn't work, she will be put on Purina green pea & duck for yet another 6 week trial. We actually have a small handful of cats that eat strictly that because of food allergies.  I believe they had varying symptoms, some IBD some skin issues etc. I'll let you know more after work tomorrow, I hop
!

 e !

t!

his helps or atleast rules out some ideas.
Kristi