Interesting that hemobartinella responds to Tetracycline and Doxycycline...  Isn't Tetracycline what they use to fight ringworm?  Dox is the antibiotic that has helped Grace fight death on two occasions, (with fever and symptoms of anemia: licking cement, lethargy).  We did test for 'blood parasites', which I assume would have covered hemobartinella.  Grace's test was negative.  I find it extremely irritating that no matter how qualified our vets are, we still have to arm ourselves with the medical knowledge necessary to not only interpret their symptoms, but to outline their treatments.  I guess I'm just tired right now, so forgive my rant, but it sure would be nice to find someone qualified to hold my hand through this nightmare.  I asked my vet about using Penicillin G instead of Flagil for Gypsy, she thinks it's a great idea.  Now I find out it means SQ injections once a day for 14 days!  I think I'm going to scream.
Nina

TenHouseCats wrote:
even in non-positive cats, anemia is something to be taken very seriously. years ago, before advantage and similar stuff, we had a REALLY bad flea year, and were having to bathe our cats weekly. no one had ever told me--nor have they since, actually--that persians are particularly susceptible to pesticides. i DID notice that jenny's gums and ears seemed unusually pale, but i had no idea what it meant. and while it concerned me when she fell hard when jumping from a relatively low perch, i had no idea that both of those things signaled anemia. she went into convulsions following the next flea bath, and was dead by the time we got her to the vet. it took me a very long time to forgive myself, because i felt i should have known... one of the other cats, a non-persian, was also close to critical from anemia, but she pulled through.

so all the info on anemia and what to look for goes for ALL cats...

as for FIA (feline infectious anemia), the first time i heard about it was six years ago when one of my cats was diagnosed with it. the information the vet gave me--and that was available in publications at the time--is completely different from what they are saying now. i know that where i am, mid-michigan, there has been a HUGE increase in cats showing high levels (is that the correct word?) of hemobartinella during routine blood tests. one vet mentioned that almost every cat she tests has high levels--and she uses more than one lab. i'm unclear exactly what the connection is between hemobart and fleas--i was told when shadows was diagnosed that hemobart is present in all cats that have ever had much flea experience, but that the bacteria is harmless until the cat gets older and their immune system weakens. since most of the cats i know of with hemobart do not fit either of those categories, i clearly do NOT know the mechanism. at the sanctuary, there were a lot of FeLVs who tested positive for hemobart, but in such a mutli-cat environment, it may not have had much to do with the FeLV. i guess it only responds, if at all, to tetracycline and doxycycline. end of my limited knowledge!

MC

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I haven't posted forever due to my own health problems. But this struck a cord and I feel I should tell you about my past experiences working w/ Felv+ cats.

The paleness in gums, nose etc. is a definite giveaway that the anemia is taking it's toll. From the 100's of Felv+ cats I have worked with I know there is NO putting off aggressive treatment.

Unfortunately, Sub-Q fluids, liver shakes rtc. won't provide a "cure". It's just buying time..... The sad fact is many of these cats reach the point when the disease starts taking over and anemia, often coming on suddenly, sends up big red flags.

You need to check PCV levels. Very important. As in the case of many of my Felv+ babies, PCV levels were checked at least 3X weekly.

And it's a shame, but sometimes you don't discover the anemia until you notice pale gums, pale noses and even their footpads are pale. Lethargy and lack of appetite go along w/ the disease.

In treating our Felv+ cats the first treatment was blood transfusions.  And then they were started on doses of Epoetin(sp?), also known as Epogen. Along w/ shots of B-complex vitamins. And round the clock monitoring in a 24 hour vet's office.

Infectious anemia and anemia are 2 diff. animals......

 It is very common for Felv+ cats to develop anemia because of their compromised immune systems. In fact, one type of anemia is related to autoimmune disease. (Seen it TOOO many times)

I am ASTOUNDED that your vet did not do a blood test for anemia... That is one of the first things that should have ben done, along w/ a PCV.

I would talk to my vet and ask WHY she didn't do bloodwork for this. I still can't believe she didn't.

With Felv+ cats developing anemia is an uphill battle. But  if it IS anemia, the clock is ticking. You say she is being rechecked in March/April.... That's too long a wait.  I would get her in right away.

You mentioned Amoxi....... Does your vet think that will "cure" Gary? Get the fever down, maybe. But fevers are not a sign of anemia. There's something else going on or your vet was just grasping straws.

I am sorry Jill. This is not meant to scare you, but anemia in a Felv+ cat can be deadly and very quick. We lost almost as many Felv cats to anemia as we did w/ lymphosarcomas. And you feel so helpless, trying to do all you can, but watching it steadily progress.

Did you point out the "paleness" to your vet? Did you voice your concerns about the possibility of Gary being anemic?
Sadly, many vets can overlook things that are staring them in the face. Also, some are not willing to go the extra mile for a Felv+, knowing it is a fatal disease.

Get Gary back ASAP for bloodwork. Discuss transfusions, discuss Epogen...  Gary is "YOUR" baby and you are the only one that should decide on treatment options. But like I said before, anemia in a Felv+ cat is dreadful, but very common.

The sooner you get a definitive diagnosis and start (aggressive) treatments, the better for Gary. And for you........

Take it from someone who's been there too many times.

Patti

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.5 - Release Date: 2/3/2005

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.5 - Release Date: 2/3/2005