Holly wrote:
So, say I'm interested in weaving with handspun (now *there's* a
surprise <g>), and want to get together with others who have an interest
in that subject.  So I go to the bulletin board, choose area C and
Saturday afternoon 2-4 to be reserved for that topic.  Others check out
the bulletin board and join me there.  If the interaction is really
good, once we've met up with each other, we can move to another location
if someone else needs area C in the next time slot.

We have special interest groups that meet at Festivals...........The Internet Users group & in particular the CF mailing list; Cross Country Weavers; Tapestry Network; Professional Weavers; Advanced spinners etc. Anyone else who is interested in joining said groups is welcome.

Then there is the Nit'n'Natter space where you can rest your weary legs, chat about anything and nothing, maybe *see* someone doing something fascinating and ask them "what ya doin' there?" Now at Taupo I met up with Rosemary B who moved from Auckland to Mainland [aka South Island] and she was doing something that really had folk intrigued - winding up a ball of yarn which had somehow become entangled with her eye glasses!

  I've never seen the class I was more than remotely interested
in taking (except basket classes--can never seem to make time to make
baskets at home :), so I can't really speak to this issue.  I want more
depth than the classes I've seen offered, and think this networking idea
might have the potential to offer more depth.

I do not take classes anymore as I can't manage them because of my health issues, I do however manage to listen to lectures and so on. So to me the Festival opportunity is to network, look at exhibitions and new fangled tools. I usually don't buy a lot but I do take all pamphlets for later on. I like to talk with the vendors to see how they are going business wise & many of them want to make contact with me later. Many vendors get questions emailed or phoned to them about where to get xyz? And vendors know I know about things <g>

Cathy
who will probably buy at another Festival a fleece or 2 but I have to spin a bit more before that happens <LOL>

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail