At 23:58 14/09/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>I mentioned previously that Vuescan seemed to show up the grain
>more than Nikonscan, and that it seemed to be due to differences
>in things like the black and white points and colour curves.

I don't think, you can see a real grain on a scanned picture. Most scanners
use 10 by 10 microns CCD (or close to it), while the film grain is in 0.3-1
micron range. I would suggest using a lossless format, rather than JPEG
(particularly so much compressed), if you send something for comments.
Remember that JPEG doesn't like sharp contours, high contrast elements. To
make a file smaller, crop to show the desired elements only, and save as
PNG. What you see is a combination of scanner pixels, I think. I looked at
the 135 frame under a microscope (40 - 100X), and definitely, the film
grain is much smaller than pixels on the scanned image. Color balance,
contrast - "blame" software. I don't use PSP, but I had no problems with
color and/or contrast adjustment with PS 5.5 or Picture Publisher 8. There
is no difference in grain between profi and amateur films (for the same
make and speed).