Roman Kielich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 23:58 14/09/2000 +1000, you wrote:
> >I mentioned previously that Vuescan seemed to show up the grain
> >more than Nikonscan, and that it seemed to be due to differences
> >in things like the black and white points and colour curves.
> I don't think, you can see a real grain on a scanned picture. Most
scanners
> use 10 by 10 microns CCD (or close to it), while the film grain is in
0.3-1
> micron range.

*sigh* Whether it's *really* grain, or whether it's aliasing is kind of
irrelevent.
The fact is that only one film - Provia 100F - has so far scanned on my LS30
*without* creating a "sandy" effect in the image.  Arguing over whether it's
grain or not is unproductive.  What I'm currently trying to do is find out
which
films show "grain" the least, and how to minimise it in those that do -
since I
have thousands of photos I've already taken.

> I would suggest using a lossless format, rather than JPEG

For the purposes of showing the "sandy" effect, jpeg is adequate and
appropriate.  If you want to be able to open the image in photoshop and
zoom down to the pixel level, it's not; you'll see jpeg artifacts.  I would
*not*
send a large TIFF or PNG to the list.  I'd have to post it on my web site.

> What you see is a combination of scanner pixels, I think.

*ROFL*

> Color balance, contrast - "blame" software.

In the post I made with this subject heading, I was suggesting that some of
the problems I've had with grain in skies (for example) may be reduced
by adjusting the white point.  Adjusting the white and black points in
Vuescan
to capture the entire spectrum of data the scanner can deliver seems to
have the side effect of making the "grain" more intense.  In a photographic
print, the highlights would be "blown out" more.

> There is no difference in grain between profi and amateur films (for
> the same make and speed).

There is most definitely a difference between the grain of different films
of the same speed from the same manufacturer.  I agree thre is no
difference I can discern between the amateur and pro versions of the
same emulsion - eg. Sensia II 100 and Provia 100 - but there's a huge
difference between say Sensia II 100 and Provia 100F.

Rob