Depends on what you're trying to get off them Geoff. I work in an image
library and we spend a lot of time cleaning up our transparencies before
scanning for clients, and removing "evil" left behind by drum scanners. The
key part of your query is "without adding to the damage". Depending on the
film stock (if you want to clean Polochrome give up now...), you can usually
use anti-static brushes, lighter fluid, and very very great care. Beyond
that - with some seriously encrusted trannies you can use a bath and tension
breaker, but I'd stay clear of doing that sort of thing unless you have the
nerve for it.

Isopropyl Alcohol is good on some films, but be exceptionally careful that
is not mixed with anything for traditional lense cleaning, as it can lift
the emulsion.