-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Richard Wolfson
Sent: 25 October 2000 19:06
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: VueScan & Epson 1200S success & question.

Mike, I think you are right, and I have been had by Epson. They lie!

I tried an experiment: I scanned a baseball (for smooth density
gradient) at 300 ppi both ways on my 1200U: saved as 24 bit tiff and 48
bit tiff. Then opened both in Photoshop, and did a levels adjustment,
moving black up to 128 and white down to 196, to accentuate the
difference between 8 bit and 12 bit data.

The resulting images looked the same, and so did their histograms.
Looking at the green, for instance, I see nice rows of spikes with big
spaces between -- both the same.

Since I bought this scanner in part for the 12 bit data Epson promised,
I may now return it and get a UMax. What a scam! Would you say Epson
specs are dishonest, or merely deceptive?

regards,
Richard Wolfson
rwolfson at LyricDesign.com