No, Frank, I don't think he could get 12 bits.

But he can control how the scanner maps 12 to the 8 he gets, and he does
that already. I'm about to post an interesting follow-up I got from Ed
that touches on this point.

As for "better interface," I suspect VueScan will get the most from that
scanner in terms of image quality. You may or may not care for the
interaction design.

Richard Wolfson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]