Again Richard, thank you for your diligence!

> Here is (I think) the definitive answer on the Epson 1200 scanners 8
bit
> v. 12 bit question, from Ed Hamrick:
>
> > The Epson 1200 returns 8-bit data to all programs.
> >
> > > Further Content Snipped < < <

You then add:

> Why does a company that can bring good (and sometimes great)
> products to market at competitive prices have so much trouble telling
> its customers the truth?

I have the same feelings. What really irked me was the whole "1200 dpi"
issue with the Perfection 1200 scanners. They're really just darn good
600 dpi scanners. Oh well, I guess 1200dpi for the cost of a 600dpi
machine was really "too good to be true". But their scanners & printers
really do a great job, especially for the $, so I guess the bottom line
is to just ignore the hype. It does still bother me though.

> And a suggestion to Ed: the option of saving 48 bit tiffs should be
> DISABLED when VueScan can't get more than 8 bits from the scanner.

I heartily agree with this recommendation. If it can't do it, it should
be grayed out.

Regards,

Frank Wiewandt