How are you getting the 16bit scan into photoshop?
I am having trouble getting this to happen.

If you take the 8bit scan, change it in photoshop to
16bit, and then do the manipulations, is it any better?

Also, if you used lasersoft or vuescan, would this also
manipulate the 8bit data and not the 16?

Thanks,
Teresa