Tony writes ...

> My receollection is that Epson introduced 240dpi as an ideal figure
for the
> generation of 720dpi printers that preceded the 700 & EX, and 750
and 1200.

    It is indeed the resolution suggested by their manual for their
1st "Stylus Color" printer.  I might suggest the fact it hasn't
changed is because their printers still print at 720dpi.  Although
this spec is only for one direction, it still suggests you cannot
simply throw more pixels at the hardcopy and expect it to come out
sharper or with more detail.  I can't believe Epson would change their
printer driver so that detail is improved for the '1440' direction ...
but they may have improved the software so that the higher dpi
direction improved the number of colors without noticable dithering.

shAf  :o)