>  even though that may be how it got started,
> it appears that they have projected it as the ideal dpi for later generation
> printers including the 700 & EX, and 750 and 1200.

I've never yet seen an 'official' Epson indication of what we should feed to
their printers, it has all been hearsay and peoples' own trial
results. When the 1440dpi printers appeared I remember the recurrent query in
NG and elsewhere 'but what res do I print at?'. It's just carried on from there.

If you know different, please point me toward it and put this
wretched thread out of my misery <g>

Hint: www.leben.com is much more suitable for the real hardcore Epson
fetishists. You will never be stuck for something to read, on this and
many similar Epson topics, ever again.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &