Mike,

     I am glad you have had so much success.  But you apparently have
     far more experience and equipment than I do.  All your great luck
     with "C prints" helps me none.
     What I have is what I have.  And with what I have I should be
     able to get the LS-30 to produce a scan that is in focus.
     If you or anyone is able to get a nice shot with a 4 x 5
     negative, well bully for you.  Some of us don't have the
     resources to do the same.

Guy