Hi Shaf

shAf wrote:

> > The only time you need or can use Wide Gamut RGB is if you
> > are going to output your digital files back to neg or
> > transparency.
>
>         Somewhat correct ... but you're ignoring archiving all the RGB data,
> and the usefulness of highbit editting before you convert to a color
> space which is more appropriate for hardcopy.

Say what?
I still don't see how any colour detail is gained from a so called wide-gamut
space.

As I see it:
The scanner outputs numbers between 0 and 255, or 0 and 4095.
The scanner hardware knows sod all about colour spaces, and the computer doesn't
care either.
The image file might as well be a recipe for chicken soup as far as the hardware
is concerned.
Those numbers only become meaningful as images when they're converted to
voltages that pull electrons from the colour guns of my monitor, and that's the
only colour space that's visible to me, or meaningful to me when I'm editing an
image. I call this colour space "my monitors gamut colour space", but
unfortunately that profile isn't listed by Photoshop, the nearest it gets to it
is sRGB.

Please explain how calling that colour space another name can add any more
saturation, brightness, or subtlety to the colour represented by those numbers.
I'm not trying to pick an argument here, just looking for a clear explanation,
preferably in engineering terms, not pre-press jargon.
I understand Munsell charts, tristimulus values, colour temperature and white
points, but I'm afraid I cannot follow the logic of working in notional colour
spaces at all.
AFAIK, any translation from one colour space to another can only throw away
colour information, not add it.

Regards,        Pete.