Pete, I am not an expert , but as far as I have understood the matter
regarding the colors space is directly affecting the printing process and
its rendering of colors.
IMHO the screens cannot reproduce anything wider (certain blue, certain
green and so on) than sRGB gamut. It is something relatd to phosphores and
the 3 colors added each other with certain intensity.
For RGB printers (and more for other color rendering technologies) this
limitation is not any more valid.
What I have understood , please correct me if I am wrong or saying no-sense,
is :
RGB printers 3, 5 , any number of inks ... can combine the colors in a way
that is not achievable (by some extension) by the phosphores of the screen.
As a consequence we have :
looking to any picture represented by a physically limited device like the
screen ... no matter wich color gamut we have encoded because it may fall
outside the numerical domain representable by the screen itself ... but when
looking to a printed output then the difference is there because the
printers can reproduce / make some of those colors outside the domain of
''screen reproduceable'' colors even if they likely cannot reproduce all the
possible colors, their domains depending from their own/peculiar technology
and its implementation.

Then ... you say:
> AFAIK, any translation from one colour space to another can only throw
away
> colour information, not add it.

This is what I should like to understand better ...
So ... if I have understood ... I start with a wide gamut = input to PS from
scanner
1... I convert to sRGB = I HAVE LOST INFORMATION
2... I convert to a different wide gamut = I loose information , but this is
affecting ''less'' my results provided that the gamut of arrival is defined
for  a domain ''compatible'' with the capabilities of my printer.
3... I convert from sRGB to a wider gamut ... how can I add informations if
the information are not there ? ... is this process of passing from a
''narrow'' gamut to a ''wide'' gamut doing something similar to the
interpolation used when passing from a resolution to a higher resolution ?

Sincerely.

Ezio

www.lucenti.com  e-photography site