From: Robert Kehl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 2:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?

Thanks to very good input from this list I bought both a Nikon LS-2000 and a
Microtek 4000t (Polaroid SS-4000) last year for a special project.  I used
the Nikon for the mainstream scanning because of it's great film handling
capabilities (mine didn't have a stepper motor problem) and I used the
Microtek for super hi-res scans.  I have been delighted with both scanners.

However, I am a sound & image technology consultant by trade and so I cannot
resist having the latest and greatest technology.  As I put my former "state
of the art scanners" up for sale I wonder, what are they really worth?  I
realize that with every wave of new technology the former "state of the art"
technology fades somewhat, but how much?

With the advent of the Nikon LS-40 (Coolscan IV) at it seems my LS-2000 has
really got to lose value.  Unless I missed something, the LS-40 is the next
step up repalcement for the LS-2000 and at $895 it  just made my LS-2000
just this side of a boat anchor.

But the new Nikon LS-4000ED probably affects 4000t (SS-4000) owners a bit
less, since both the new Nikon and the Polaroid scanners ultimately give you
same the same image resolution and quality.  It seems that  LS-2000 owners
all around the world may want to move up right away, but the SS-4000 owners
have less to gain by running out and buying the new 4000dpi scanner from
Nikon when they already have a 4000dpi scanner. Still the film handling and
Ice3 could be nice.  Any comment from SS-4000 or 4000t owners?  Are you
planning on a move up to the new technology right away or am I the only one?

Anyway,  it seems to me that my LS-2000 just dropped in value to somewhere
around $600 but perhaps my 4000t (SS-4000) will hold its value a little
better, maybe somewhere around $1,200.  Response would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bob Kehl