Dear Allen,

I agree that Finale's default files could be made a little better.  Here are
some of my ideas (in no particular order):

- I think that it would be nice if there a larger range of default files,
e.g. early music, contemporary music, Broadway style, etc., each of which
may contain different setting depending on the different requirements of
each musical style.  For example, the contemporary music one may contain
preloaded quarter-tone libraries.  The Broadway one could have 4 bars locked
per system.  Also if user-created-default styles could be accessed from
within the Setup Wizard...

- Rehearsal Letters - these should be bigger and bold, 18 point.

- I believe that staves should be brought closer together within keyboard
parts.  Say there is a violin and piano score, then it seems a bit
nonsensical to have the same distance between each staff.  Also, it would be
great if there could be larger spaces between different orchestral families
in a score (e.g. between the contrabassoon and horn 1-2 staves in an
orchestral score).  I guess that this would not be easy to implement?

- Ledger lines (0.04cm) should be twice as thick as staff lines (0.02cm).
Similarly, bar lines twice as thick.  These small adjustments make a
considerable difference to the appearance of a printed score.

- There could be an increased number of text and shape expressions that come
in the default files.  For example, all the myriad of directions for the
different instruments (e.g. "con sord.", "senza sord." etc.).  These could
be organized in instrumental families within the file.  It could also
include a quite comprehensive list of general text expressions, e.g.
crescendo, cresc., diminuendo, dim., legato, espressivo, cantabile, dolce,
pesante, simile, sim., subito etc. etc. etc.

- These new text expressions could include a q=120 or whatever tempo marking
done in EngraverText T so that we can finally be rid of those godawful tempo
markings made in Petrucci or Maestro (via the Create Tempo Marking plugin).
Better still, put a couple of there in so that beginners who can't work out
how to duplicate text expressions can at least change the ones that are
already there.

- I use a bold 18 point for large above-the-staff markings (e.g. "Lento").
For other markings, e.g. "crescendo", I like 12 point italic, though some
publishers prefer 14 point italic. I like 14 point italic for bar numbers.
10 point bold italic for tuplet numbers.

- Increased numbers of custom smart shapes.  For some examples, see the
lines in Sibelius 2, but for example, there could be thick horizontal lines
with arrows on either and/or each end, dotted lines with hooks and 'sul
pont' or whatever written over them.  Anything to save the users having to
create them themselves, or at least, have a wider selection from which to
choose.

- Having a much wider range of arrows to attach to custom smart shapes, e.g.
bigger, wider etc.

- I like to leave about 1 space after the clef at the beginning of each line
(via music options).  It seems to make the music look less crowded, not
packing as much in in a small space.

- Grace notes should be sized between 60-75%.  I find 50% too small.  Either
66% or 75% is good, though some people believe 75% is too big.

- I think that staves should all be automatically set for individual staff
spacing from the outset.  If you want to change them globally, then you can
always drag the top handle.  (Is this do-able within a default file?)

- Reducing the smallest default bar width (i.e. via Music Spacing Options)
to 3cm or 2.75cm rather than the 3.15cm or whatever it is at the moment.

- Altering the default placement of the mezzo staccato and accents placed
beneath the staves so that they never run into noteheads or bottom staff
lines.

- Fixing up the default placement of the tremolo markings so that they never
run into noteheads.

I must say that in my opinion, and in spite of all of these suggestions, it
would perhaps be best worth Coda's while to follow the suggestion to employ
an outstanding engraver to produce at least one really excellent default
file.  Sort of what you must have done with font designers to create the
Maestro font, I suppose.

That way, people who are not expert engravers, or who have no implicit
desire to become expert, can still unwittingly gain the experience of
someone that is.

Thanks for soliciting opinions, and I hope that you get some good responses.

Matthew
--
Matthew Hindson - Australian composer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]