on 5/1/02 11:51 AM, John Howell at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> And no, that isn't the only reason my department head is considering
> switching, although it's the proximate one.  Too many students are making
> too many complaints about not being able to figure out how to use Finale.
> That's a fairly basic problem.
>
> John

I would be curious to know how other university music departments (I think
we have a few other representatives that participate on this list) handle
the learning curve in Finale.  Does everyone else view it being as daunting
a process as John and Va. Tech do?  I have no accurate concept of how
difficult that curve really is because I've used the program since version
1.0.  I was up and running (including learning the Mac) with speedy note
midi entry in about a week, but the ability to configure a layout took quite
a while to learn (and in certain situations can still be a challenge).  I'd
say it's apples and oranges anyway, as different as the program is now.

Here in Nashville, Blair School of Music (Vanderbilt) makes both Sibelius
and Finale available in a composer's lab.  The music business program at
Belmont University offers a course (at least it used to) on how to use
Finale.  In these two departments, I don't as yet believe it has come down
to choosing one program over the other.

Don Hart