At 11:50 AM +0100 6/18/02, Javier Ruiz wrote:
>Estimada Linda,
>
>You have said this two times, that you post sound files in your web site.
>But for that you need all the permissions from the performers, and if it is
>an orchestra must be very difficult.

Happy to explain, Javier.  This is a long response, for those who
want to press delete.

For the record, I would never post a MIDI realization.  I happen to
loathe them for a number of reasons, though I realize that it's the
practical way to go for many people, and a good solution for people
who don't mind hearing them.  However, actual musicians have been
used in all these recordings.  To paraphrase from movie credits:

No musicians were harmed in the making of my web site.

  The recordings I have made of my own music were done in places where
the musicians provided their talents as "work for hire" and
relinquish all rights to them. Even when I hire a whole orchestra or
what turns into an orchestra once the overdubs are complete. I pay
union scale or above at the sessions, follow the union rules for
breaks, etc., but I only work in right-to-work states, so I do not
have to deal with the union paperwork, and simply do not hire
musicians who feel I should. (My apologies all you union stewards and
zealots... I just don't want to go there!)  I know most of the people
I hire, and if I use a contractor, he/she knows my system and makes
sure to hire people who are cool with that). The musicians I use (all
professionals, some with major performing groups) are well aware that
they are signing away any claim to further compensation, regardless
of how the recording is used.  I can post, give away, sell,
distribute, or use these recordings any way I like, since I own the
copyright and I (or the people who hire me to record) own the master
recording. My personal list of favorite musicians are happy to have
the work, have wonderful attitudes, and I treat them like the true
artists they are, so I have never had a problem with all this.

As for posting recordings on the web site: recordings I do not own
myself, because someone has hired me to record them, or because the
recording has been made by someone else for some commercial venue, I
have agreements with the owners of the master recordings that I may
use them for "promotion or demonstration," (including posting
excerpts or whole recordings on the web) but of course I cannot sell
the recordings commercially.  I still own the copyrights on the
music, if it's mine, but I do not own those recordings.

Some examples from the sound files on my web site:

"Sundance" is a recording made and owned by the Belgian Radio
Philharmonic.  They performed it live, and made a studio recording
for broadcast.  I have their permission to use copies of the studio
recording for demonstration, but I can't sell it.  (A textbook which
used the same recording paid them a license fee for using it on their
accompanying CD, because it was sold commercially.)

The recorded movie cues from the score for "The Rescue of Autumn" are
owned by the film company, and they have given me permission to use
cues and excerpts for promotion. (They are happy for me to promote
their short film.)

A string quartet recorded "Arcadia Quartet" for me with the
understanding that I own the the recording and can use it any way I
choose.  I may include it soon on a commercial CD (I'm still trying
to decide whether to re-record it, for various reasons). The
understanding with the musicians (who were paid to record it, of
course) is that I own the recording and can do whatever I like with
it.  However, if I do decide to use this particular recording on the
commercial CD, which I am unlikely to make any significant income
from, I plan to RE-obtain their permission and pay them additionally
(though they expect neither) as a courtesy.

"Haunted Castle" was commissioned for an educational project.  I own
the copyright, but the company that published the project owns the
recording.  I obtained their permission to use the recording for demo
only (including web posting), unless we make other arrangements.

And so on.  But in every case, I have permission from the owner of
the master (who in turn has releases from the musicians) or I own the
master and, as producer of the recording, I obtained releases from
the musicians.

I've also recorded pieces for other composers... slotted their
instrumental (sometimes full orchestra) pieces into sessions already
booked, to use the musicians/studio time to full advantage.  Once
everyone is assembled, tuned, warmed up, the microphones are set,
etc... it saves a lot of money to just keep recording as long as the
musicians are up for it.  Even with breaks, it saves money over
short, single sessions, because everyone is up and running.  The
first hour or so of any session is always a bit of a loss because of
moving things around, getting tuned and warmed up, getting used to
the room, etc. until the sound is just right. In any case, I'm lucky
to have been able to do recordings of my own work just by picking up
the cost of extended time in an existing session.  It still isn't
cheap, but it has paid for itself so far in promotion and
sales/rentals of parts for live performance.

>Am I wrong in this?

Not at all... So far I have not used any recordings by Unionized
American orchestras. I have worked around it by doing the recordings
myself.  As you might guess, getting permission for anything from a
professional union orchestra can be a nightmare, so I just don't go
there.

>(And please don't get too angry with me  ;)

Never.  If you and the rest of the list doesn't get angry with me for
posting this long explanation.

Hope this clarifies.

Linda Worsley

Hear the music at: