On Wednesday, July 10, 2002, at 09:39  AM, David W. Fenton wrote:

> You describe your crescendo as done with key velocities, but to me,
> that's not the way a crescendo should happen at all -- it should be a
> gradual increase in volume whether or not there are any note on events.
> If the passage with the crescendo is a pair of tied whole notes, your
> method would have no effect whatsoever.

Actually, I said that one could use key velocities OR the volume
controller.  One could use the expression controller for that matter.
My point is that it is just as quick and painless no matter what
approach you take.  I use CC 7 (Volume) 95% of the time.

I don't want to poo-poo the things Sibelius can do as meaningless just
because my preferred application doesn't do them.  I'm sure that if
Finale introduced automatic volume fluctuations based on traditional
notation standards which were tastefully implemented and easy to reshape
or turn off, then I would not complain, and would eventually come to
appreciate it.  But, I would love to see the whole interface revamped
before gumming up the works with such things.  The ability to see, draw,
and reshape controllers right on the score (I'm not talking about the
one-staff-at-a-time MIDI tool window) would be a good start!  So would
dependable playback of such things.

tim