At 11:53 AM -0400 7/10/02, Tim Thompson wrote:
>On Wednesday, July 10, 2002, at 08:30  AM, Jari Williamsson wrote:
>>However, a much more serious point here IMO is to use MIDI playback as
>>the main "tool" for composition to live musicians. Many books of old
>>masters tell you to learn to "hear" the printed score in the head, without
>>the aid of a piano (which would translate to computer playback today),
>>and I believe there are many benifits of this.
>

>Of course your points are extremely valid and important.  I have
>learned to focus on MIDI implementation in two situations, both of
>which have to do with auditioning scores.
>
>The first situation is a (very well-paying) client who can't really
>read or play through a score and know exactly what he is seeing, or
>use his imagination when hearing a straight MIDI playback.  I find
>that if I make the playback pretty realistic--especially in terms of
>dynamic and tempo fluctuations--then he has fewer complaints and
>there is less work for me in the end.  (He does have a very good
>ear, and knows what sounds good!)

This is, indeed an excellent point. Clients have even less
imagination now than in the days of a solo piano demo. They tend to
think that the demo is the finished product, and cannot extrapolate
to a live orchestra what they are hearing on the demo. I had one
client who spent a whole morning with me selecting and editing string
patches because she didn't like the sound, and it turned out that she
didn't like the volume they were set at! She didn't even know enough
to realize that what was bothering her was volume, instead of
responsiveness or timbre or attack or slow release or any of the
myriad things that COULD have been the problem.

I now have a synth mockup of a cue (really badly done, too, for
illustrative purposes) and the same cue played by great musicians in
a well-mixed recording, just so I can point out to clients the
difference between what they are hearing TODAY and what they will
hear once the final product is completed.

Also, clients have gotten so used to hearing polished demos (since
those are the ones that win the gig) that EVERY situation now needs
extra time spent on the clients' "green-light" session. So in this
way, computers have not actually decreased the amount of labour, but
INCREASED it, as you need to spend extra time polishing the synth
mock-up, then getting approval, then recording the work with live
players.

Any synth demo that needs this kind of polishing is not going to
sound good in any notation program; you need to port it to a
full-blown sequencer, possibly play it in again to get rid of the
strict metronomic rhythm, then hand-pick your patches for each
section of the work, (such as F violins, MF violins, P violins, pizz
violins, marcato violins, etc.) get the controllers going for
musicality, balance it, then on to the next section. <I> don't need
this kind of detail to get the sound of a piece I am working on, but
the client almost certainly does. This is why I have been silent on
the discussions involving better MIDI playback in Finale, because I
don't use it at all, preferring Cubase for MIDI projects.

As for my composition and arranging students, I consider the most
important part of the course to be the playing sessions, where EVERY
project gets a read-through by live players. They are learning how to
write for breathing musicians, and the best MIDI playback in the
world is not going to let them know how live players will react to
their parts. They also get feedback from the musicians, which helps
them write (as Cecil Forsythe said it) for the people playing the
instrument in addition to writing for the instrument.