On 9 Jul 2002, at 20:50, Robert Patterson wrote:

> "David W. Fenton" wrote:
> > quadrupling the number of metatool keys
>
> Gracious. I just can't let this go by. Occasionally I have gone back to
> Fin97 to avoid re-editing an old doc. It is the SLAG MINES! (Single
> undo, lotsa bugs that have since been fixed, no staff styles.) And only
> 9 metatools. Invariably I have upgraded the document.
>
> I think David is *determined* to resist change at all cost, if he can
> figure out a way to pooh-pooh such a useful feature. (I want *more*
> metatool keys. There's no reason the special chars can't be metatools too.)
>
> Well, David, resist away. It is a long, hard struggle that is doomed to fail.

I have not found the costs of the upgrades over the past few years
justified by the features added. I get everything done that I need to do
in WinFin97, and without too much difficulty.

Yes, I recognize there are lots of things that are great improvements
since then, and I've been intending to upgrade since the beginning of the
year. However, I'll have to change computers to do that and need to
upgrade the other one to Win2K, and I have to transfer the good sound
card to the other computer, and hope it works with Win2K, and I have to
transfer the CD writer, etc., etc.

It's not that I don't think that it's time to upgrade. It's just that I
have to do a lot of things beforehand to be able to use the new version
of Finale.

As to the number of metatool keys, twice the original number is
sufficient, I'd say, as it crosses a threshold of manageability. For most
of my work, I seldom use more than 5 or 6 metatools on a regular basis,
though I've certainly wished I had more than the 9 available in WinFin97.

The problem raised by the comparison to Finale is not in any way solved
by having additional metatools (though Sibelius could probably benefit
from the incorporation of metatools). Yes, metatools in Finale make it
quite easy to place frequently used items in your scores, but "type into
score" for expressions would nonetheless be a fine addition to Finale, I
believe.

--
David W. Fenton                         |        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                 |        http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc