In a message dated 12/07/2002 12:19:42 GMT Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

  So the horn parts are often Horn I/II
and III/IV in newer works and Horn I/III and II/IV in older works

As a horn player may a make a heartfelt plea that you DO NOT put 1st and 3rd horn on the same page.  (I have only ever seen 1&3 on one page in modern wind band music - if there are two parts to a stave they should ALWAYS be 1st and 2nd / 3rd and 4th)

Presume that we will lose the extra copies and will only have one copy of each part - we sit 1,2,3,4 - if 1&3 are on the same part, we have to change places (or play in the wrong order)

It is much more useful for the principal player to know what his 2nd is playing since the majority oF duet passages (not unisons) will be for 1st & 2nd horn, not 1st & 3rd.

Better still, put them on separate pages so that we can read them more easily.

All the best,

Lawrence
http://lawrenceyates.co.uk