>Date: 12 Jul 2002 02:03:30 -0500
>From: Harold Steinhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Dennis, if it's comforting to you, I feel recent versions of Finale
>for Mac have become a Windoze-port stepchild.

Amen.

Basically, a company that understands the fact that the Mac UI is more
than the Windows UI with an Apple Logo in the menu bar, and vice versa...
such a company is a very rare animal.

I can't remember whether it was Tog or one of the later Apple UI gurus
who adivsed that developers responsible for porting software should spend
at least half a year using the "other" platform as their main working
machine. To learn the culture, to learn what people on the other side of
the fence expect.

Few companies are prepared to go that extra mile.

The irony about Windows users complaining that Finale foisted a
Mac-interface on them is that Finale was never a particularly "native"
Mac application in the first place. Phil Farrand's original design grated
every which way: the nested dialog boxes, the impenetrable vocabulary
(although I was fond of "Igor's View":-), ignoring Page Setup settings,
idiosyncratic implementation of Print, yada yada...

But that's a long time ago. Nowadays Finale is closer to being a Windows
app than a Mac app. Sort of sad we never had a time when I felt that
Finale was really at home on the Mac.

-- P.

---------------   <http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/>   ---------------
Peter Castine       | From the Litter Power Thesaurus:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       |   Weibull distribution: lp.y
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     |