>From: "Jari Williamsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:37:40 +0200
>
>What if MaxOSX (or Carbon) _didn't_ work in real-life implementations or
>_didn't_ get customer approval? This has happened many times before in
>history, and the former is still true for MacOSX to some extent regarding
>the MIDI implementation - one and a half year after the first release of the
>OS.

I think Jari has a point.

I was enthusiasitcally following OpenDoc and spent some effort on moving
my PhD project in that direction. Waste of time, I'm afraid. Folks who
listened to IBM and invested in OS/2 may feel similarly. Oh, and then
there were my Newton efforts...

Philip's point that Apple introduced a number of OS X/Carbon technologies
incrementally is also valid. Today, in 2002, I would expect a current app
to support Appearance, Navigation, & Co.

There were a lot of other clues that OS X could not go the way of
OpenDoc. Problem is, I doubt that most corporate management could read
them. I think even most developers whose main focus was anything other
than Mac OS may have had difficulty predicting the outcome, too. But, if
you bleed in seven colors, hit the Apple WWDCs and MacHack... it was
possible to tell which way that the ball was rolling and it wasn't going
to stop.

I'm not real enthusiastic about OS X (not like I have been about other
things). But that's the way it's going to be.

>It's interesting that Mac users almost always seem to blaim 3rd party
>developers for not being "compatible". Windows users usually blaim M$
>for just about everything, although M$ has a far better history regarding
>compatibility.

In my experience, Apple has gotten a lot of flack from users for "causing
incompatibility" when the real cause has been blinkered implementations
by developers ("Who cares about implementation guidelines? Works today.").

Apple's track record on backwards compatibility is actually, IMHO, pretty
good. I've still got a couple of dozen little apps that are more than 10
years old and run on my current set up. Even OS X, the biggest OS change
in the last 18 years, still lets a number of non-updated apps run. Shame
about the audio & MIDI, though.

Cheers,

Peter

---------------   <http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/>   ---------------
Peter Castine       | From the Litter Power Thesaurus:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       |   Voss/McCartney algorithm: lp.zzz, lp.zzz~
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     |