On 18 Jul 2002, at 0:13, Philip Aker wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 17, 2002, at 06:33  PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > Please, give me a reference somewhere on the web for the ASCII
> > codes for Ctrl-a->z and Ctrl-A->Z. Ctrl-0->9 is optional.
>
> > And I mean *ASCII* codes, not ANSI or keyboard scan codes.
>
> Try:
>
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/c0.html
>
> for the basic mapping. Other than that, I believe the generated
> ASCII character is platform specific. On the Macintosh, this
> goes through several layers of intercepts and mappings. This is
> discussed in Inside Macintosh: Text (mostly in Appendix C).
> Available online at:
>
> <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/Text/Text-2.html>

How many of the Control key combinations conventionally mapped on
American keyboards to the lower ASCII codes are actually available in
Finale for use with metatools? I count 14 of the 31 that are already in
use.

You're left with using multiple shift keys and checking scan codes and
shift masks (because there's no ASCII mapping for those multiple shift
key combinations), and translating the whole thing for various
international keyboard maps. Johannes has pointed out elsewhere that the
latter is already problematic in Finale today.

The suggestion is simply not practical using ASCII codes, and that was
why I was having such a difficult time understanding the assertion that
there were all the free keys available.

And, in any event, only A-Z (upper case) and @[\]^_ are available for
mapping. The numeric keys and the lower-case keystrokes are not available
in the first place, even if the keystroke combinations in the
conventional keyboard mapping of control combinations to the ASCII
control codes were not already in use for other things.

--
David W. Fenton                         |        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                 |        http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc