At 4:15 PM 09/24/02, Michael Cook wrote:

>I don't think the ossia tool has improved since the old days.
>Nonetheless, I still use it for doing exactly what it's designed to
>do: creating a one-measure ossia above a staff, in the margin or at
>the bottom of the page. [...]
>
>It may not be "intuitive", but I'm used to it and it serves me well!

I have expressed a similar sentiment about other Finale features....

At 9:15 AM 09/24/02, Harold Owen wrote:

>As far as I can tell, no changes have been made in the Ossia Tool in
>the past several versions of Finale. [...] The
>Ossia Tool is definitely not useful when an ossia contains more than
>a single measure. [...]

I frequently have multi-bar ossias (operatic cadenzas, mostly), and I think
I once tried to use the ossia tool for them, so perhaps that was part of my
bad experience.

>It is useful for things like a line of chant or a
>staff showing handbells to be used that appears above the first
>system of the music. [...]

Years ago I did some handbell music, and come to think of it, I did find
that special range measure on top to be a hassle.

Maybe next time I'll look into the ossia feature again. I'm sure I won't
use it for all ossias, but if I understand it better I'll know when it's
more useful and when it's not.

Thanks to both of you for answering. That's just the sort of information I
was looking for.

mdl