On 26 Sep 2002 at 9:11, Michael Cook wrote:

> I'm not sure why blank notation affects spacing. I expect there are
> situations where this is desirable - does anyone make use of this?
>
> For your problem with playback of ornaments you could try this: leave
> the printed music in layer 1 and apply blank notation to layer 4
> (this wasn't possible in older versions of Finale). As far as I can
> tell, it always seems to be the layer 4 notes that get pushed to the
> right. If layer 4 is only used for playback, you can also set it not
> to affect music spacing (in Document Options - Layers).

Well, yes, that would avoid the immediate problem, but it causes a
whole bunch of others.

My whole setup is based on the fact that I have no instrument defined
for playback of layer 4, and all the sounding notation in layer 1,
visible or not. If I move the invisible (sounding) notation to a
different layer and leave the visible notation in layer 1, notation
that shouldn't be heard, I then have to turn off playback for that
measure, and back on when it's done. That's obviously not acceptable,
so it basically means moving the sounding notation to the bottom
layer, #4, and putting any non-sounding notation in a higher layer.

While that will work consistently, it would be inconvenient to have
layer 4 be your main notation layer, just because Finale opens with
layer 1 active. A small thing, but it shows that the workaround is
not satisfactory.

And it doesn't change the fact that blank notation in *any* layer
should not have an effect on spacing of visible notation.

> By the way, if you do need to respace seconds so that the notes
> coincide instead of avoiding each other, uncheck collision of seconds
> AND set manual positioning to "clear", then apply music spacing.

Sorry, but I looked high and low on the menus and in the OLD, but
cannot find any setting to clear manual spacing. Where is it?
Obviously, I'm just not looking in the right place.

--
David W. Fenton                 |       http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates         |       http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc