>I mostly *never* want to clear manual positioning, but when I do need
>to, having to make a change to a document-wide setting (and then
>change back) seems a very poor solution -- it's much too easy to
>forget to set it back after clearing the one measure.
>
>Why in the world is this not one of the options in the CLEAR ITEMS
>dialog?
>
>Yes, yes, I know, ask Coda, but I'd like to have someone explain the
>reasoning for why it's set up the way it is.
>
>--
>David W. Fenton                 |       http://www.bway.net/~dfenton

I assume we're talking here abt. the Music Spacing Options dialog. To
me, it is far more than a vehicle for document-wide defaults. It is
also an extremely valuable tool for all kinds of spacing-tweaking,
for wh. purpose its settings need to be reset in all manner of ways
(unisons overlap or not? Make room for a note-expression? What
minimum measure width?, etc. etc.) Among the most valuable and
frequently used of the numerous alternatives offered are the three
settings for manual alterations--incoporate/ignore/clear--which are
virtually essential, or at any rate hugely labor-saving, in the
spacing of measures  containing grace notes.

I change the settings in this dlg. so often that I have devoted the
F5-F8 keys on my keyboard to macros for it:

F5: toggle lyrics collision
F6: incorporate manual positioning
F7: clear manual positioning
F8: open Music Spacing Options dialog