>Unless I'm misunderstanding the question. If the suggestion was that I
>select those measures and apply a different spacing algorithm to them to
>get them to fit, then I didn't do that. And I would say that changing
>spacing mid-piece (and having to remember to change it back again if
>needed) is far too complicated.

A procedure which I occasionally use is to space the measures by my normal
spacing algorithm, then use Edit Measure Attributes-> Add [x] to Width
applied to a large region of measures (usually all of them, or else back to
the last page turn that I want to keep) to uniformly reduce each one by a
small amount, then update the layout. Sometimes I have to try various
values of [x] before I find the right amount of reduction.

I assume this is essentially what the proposed plug-in would do.  It's
moderately tedious, but in most cases like the one you described I find it
less cumbersome than moving measures one at a time with the up arrow.

mdl