On 2002/10/13 04:09 AM or thereabouts, helgesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
intoned:

> Do advocates of non-transposed scores enjoy 6 or 7 leger lines in Picc,
> Glock, Bass Tuba, or ContraBassoon?  are these 'acceptable' exceptions?

Oh, come now.  That is a trivial problem when using a concert pitch score
(or score in C, or whatever you wanna call it).  One can (A) make an
exception for octave-transposing instruments (not a big deal); (B) use
octave-transposing clefs for such instruments (or in the case of the glock,
a two-octave transposing clef); or (C) deal with the ledger lines, à la
Schoenberg.  I tend to go with (B) myself.  And by the way, tubas (including
bass and contrabass tubas) are not transposing instruments.

The real problem are the horns, which will require either excessive ledger
lines, or numerous clef changes, many of which will not be needed in the
part.  The same problem applies to the tenor sax and (to a lesser extent) to
bass clarinet.

At any rate, there is an incredible amount of unreasonable prejudice against
concert pitch scores.  It's like the musical equivalent of speaking with a
southern accent -- it's guaranteed to make people instantly assume you're an
idiot.  (This despite the established composers who have used them.)  My own
view is that transposed scores are most useful in music with a key
signature.  They make less sense (and, for me at least, are somewhat more
difficult to read) in music without key signatures, and so I tend to use
concert pitch scores for my own music.  But preference for one over the
other seems largely a matter of what one is used to -- for instance, it is
just as easy to "see" things like the break on a clarinet, or tricky horn
passages, etc, in a concert pitch score, provided you're used to reading
one.

The other thing is, regardless of whether the end product will be a
transposed score or a concert pitch score, I always compose and arrange with
"display in concert pitch" turned on.  I can't really imagine doing it
otherwise -- it would drive me nuts if the pitches I heard when I play in
the music in Speedy Entry were not the pitches I wanted the instruments to
play.

- Darcy

------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]