At 06:09 PM 10/13/02 +1000, helgesen wrote:
>Do advocates of non-transposed scores enjoy 6 or 7 leger lines in Picc,
>Glock, Bass Tuba, or ContraBassoon?  are these 'acceptable' exceptions?

All my scores since 1968 are only at concert pitch, except for
octave-transposing instruments (which are so marked at the clefs; I even
use the transposing-treble for tenor voices).

I have always written full scores at concert pitch, and was first taught
(35 years ago now) that for new scores in the U.S. (except band scores),
concert pitch was recommended because no matter how the parts might be
later re-edited for changing players or standards, the score will be good.

I was copyist for an ensemble in the late 1960s that required me to write
out parts from a 'wet' photocopy of Berlioz's F&T Symphony -- before it was
republished, I think, as this miserable copy came from the "publisher" in
Paris. Aside from my own nightmare of redoing horn transpositions to every
key (pre-valved horns) to F horns, I watched the conductor (who was no
slouch) and wind ensemble get into train wreck after train wreck with this
score that combined nonstandard transpositions, moveable clefs (not just
alto & tenor), obsolete instruments, and instruments in abandoned
transpositions.

The conductor can transpose off the score when talking to players, but
double-transposing (score to A clarinet back to Bb clarinet, if that's the
performer's preference) is a guaranteed disaster. That was an incredible
object lesson for me as a young composer, so all my scores from then on
were written at sounding pitch.

Dennis