On 2002/10/13 03:17 PM or thereabouts, John Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
intoned:

> Only if you assume that we stupid Americans can only read treble and bass
> clefs.  Remember that the moveable C clefs are also "concert pitch."  You
> can't read them?  Why not?  Become fluent in reading all 9 moveable clefs
> and they become a wonderful tool for transposing.  And they're all "concert
> pitch."

Well, obviously it would raise more than a few eyebrows to have the horn or
tenor sax parts in the score written in tenor clef.  (Of course any
competent conductor reads tenor clef just fine but that's not the point.)
It would be more confusing than simply switching back and forth between
treble and bass as the situation demands, simply because it's so out of the
ordinary, and would likely make the conductor wonder what on earth you were
thinking.

>> The other thing is, regardless of whether the end product will be a
>> transposed score or a concert pitch score, I always compose and arrange with
>> "display in concert pitch" turned on.  I can't really imagine doing it
>> otherwise -- it would drive me nuts if the pitches I heard when I play in
>> the music in Speedy Entry were not the pitches I wanted the instruments to
>> play.
>
> Clearly a matter of personal taste, and nobody is going to persuade anyone
> else to switch over.  In my case, it would drive me nuts if the pitches I
> read off the page were not notated as they will be seen by the player,
> because when I was younger I made a point of learning to play all the
> instruments at least well enough to understand (a) what the actual tone
> quality of each note is throughout the range and (b) what is easy on each
> instrument and what is difficult.  When I see the transposed part I know
> exactly how it will balance and blend.  A pianist would probably prefer
> concert pitch.

Well, another not inconsiderable benefit to doing note entry in concert
pitch is being able to simply copy doubled passages, without having to also
transpose them appropriately.

- Darcy

------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]