At 9:22 PM +0000 11/02/02, Marcus Girvan wrote:
Since the topic has got round to chord playback can I repeat a query that I
made last week which was greeted with a stunning silence so perhaps noone
knows the answer.

The message read:-

'I find that Finale's chord analysis problematical in the extreme. It always
seems to find the most obscure constructions possible. It would be more
helfupl if the analysis provided simpler or simplified chords. Have I been
missing something all this time? Is there an auto simplifier somewhere that
I haven't found?

'Also, when inputting chords manually and then auto-transposing, the
programme also throws up some wierdos such as C#bmin from a concert Bmin.

'I've been using Finale for a number of years now, now on 2003. Have these
"undocumented features" been there all this time? I certainly know that the
chord analysis problem has been there a long time but until now it wasn't a
problem as I had no need of it. I can't believe that I'm the first to notice
them.'

Marcus

You didn't get a stunned silence from me. I answered your query, and I suppose everyone just agreed with me. Here it is again if you missed it:

You're not the first to notice that Finale mis-analyses any chord more complex than a 7th chord, especially if it is not a diatonic chord, although C#bmin is a new one on me. "Learn Chord?" is Coda's attempt at rectifying that, though I gave up in disgust a long time time ago trying to make it do what I wanted it to. I strongly suggest that you email Coda with your complaint, and make it as specific as possible, in neutral language.

Christopher