Having played weddings for more than 40 years, I played this celebrated chime sequence who knows how many times. Today someone asked me what the pitch sequence was for this familiar item. ...

One of you scholars will surely know what the proper sequence is. I have heard it played by various organists and they did not all agree. Either a Finale (FinWin2003a) attachment or a printout of the pitch sequence would be fine.

Ken Fowler

The sequence is called "Westminster Chimes." What it has to do with weddings is beyond me, but here it is in full:

ECDG
GDEC
EDCG
GDEC

Many clocks use a simplified (smaller, lighter, cheaper) mechanism that plays only the first two patterns, repeating the first at the third quarter, thus:

ECDG
GDEC
*ECDG*
GDEC

At the quarter hour, only the first four notes are played; at the half hour either just the second four notes or all of the first eight notes; at the third quarter either just the third group of four or all of the first twelve. At the hour the entire pattern is played, followed by the hour chime on a different pitch (Bb is common)

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/