Is there a reason? It seems that often the original parts were transposing parts anyway (work in one key, horns in a different key) so I am curious why professionals wouldn't prefer transposed parts for F horns. I realize they have learned how to transpose, just as trumpet players do, but in the case of trumpet players it is very common among professionals to use instruments in the original keys, while that isn't so common among horn players.

Just wondering.

Robert Patterson wrote:
John Howell wrote:

But if you mean for
them to be played on a modern valve horn in F, you should write them for
horn in F.

Nope. For most professionals, at least, it is better to provide them in the key of the natural horn parts. Some publishers provide both original key and F parts. I'd guess about 90% of professionals use the original key parts, given a choice.

--
David H. Bailey