On 5 Mar 2003 at 22:30, Mr. Liudas Motekaitis wrote:

> [...]

We're not? Seems to me that was what Dennis was talking about,
composer controlled MIDI performances (where the composer acts as
"conductor" of MIDI data, providing shape, phrasing and any other
parameters that the controllers at his disposal allow).

I take the attitude here that we should take the best the technology
has to offer and consider whether that is artistic and moving. If so,
then we can't dismiss the technology out of hand.

If, on the other hand, we choose to take the worst that MIDI has to
offer and argue against that, well, we've constructed a straw man,
partly because Dennis wasn't really arguing for that in the first
place, but also because 90% of everything is crap and you can't
dismiss the 100% just because only 10% rises above the mundane.

Well, I guess you can, but it won't make you look like a very serious
debater.

--
David W. Fenton                 |       http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates         |       http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc